Tuesday 20 January 2009

The craziness that is South Africa!

So,
- I have a new job
- which allows me to speak to a lot of different people all over South Africa
- which reminded me of the craziness of South Africa!

OK, so much of South Africa is very traditional. And in my daily chattering with store staff, I have come across the many MANY crazy names here. Due to the nature and culture of many families, children are often given an 'english' name in addition to their more traditional 'african' name. So if your traditional name is Sipho, you may also be called Simon. HOWEVER, it's not always that simple. Much of South Africa is also illiterate, which leads inevitably to very strange names for children....and so I present you with my list of names encountered in ONE WEEK of work, listed 5 to 1, 1 being my favourite.

5. Dykie
4. Beauty
3. Given
2. Hawpygirl (geddit? happygirl!)

And my personal favourite.....

1. Alphabet

I kid you not!!! If I hadn't seen it myself, I wouldn't believe it. Someone named their child Alphabet. WOW!!! Oh special mention goes to Velaphi. Velaphi is Xhose (african language) for 'Where do you come from?'....Yikes?!

And my african name you ask......Nomathemba ( meaning 'the one you can trust!)

No comments: